A Day At Goodyear Arizona For Some Target Shooting Practice
There is no doubt that this pandemic has ended up being extremely tough on most of us, considering many of us have had to forego our regular activities for the sake of ensuring our safety and that of others around us. But it is important to find activities that you can busy yourself with otherwise you may positively go insane trapped in your house for months! Fortunately, there is still so much that you can do if you take the right precautions and follow all of the social distancing and sanitization instructions that have been communicated by the medical professionals.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
With a Little Help From My Friends
That is why a few of my friends and I formulated a short trip out into the Arizona Desert where we could destress and simply have a fun time with some target shooting practice. There are a couple of indoor shooting ranges that are open in the area but we preferred to stick to an open space as it helped us better adhere to the distancing guidelines to potentially prevent the spread of COVID-19.
If you have ever been target shooting, you know, you know exactly how satisfying it is when your shot hits bang on the target. It is an exhilarating feeling that you want to repeat again and again until you have run out of ammo! Provided you ensure everyone’s safety and security, I highly recommend going out for an outdoor target shooting session as a family activity or friends hangout. Thanks to Willie, Marni, Mark, Josh, Neil and Voltaire.
Setting Off Into The Desert
We decided to capitalize on the beauty of the remaining few fresh and tantalizing summer days as the season begins to transition into fall by booking a target shooting session out in the desert. Arizona is not short of stunning natural landmarks, but I personally consider the Goodyear desert to be one of the most subtly ethereal locations in the state, especially when the morning sun is beating down on it.
My friends and I set out in our cars really early in the morning so that we could set it all up and start off quickly. This gave us the opportunity to look at the sun rising over the horizon of the vast, seemingly endless expanse of the desert, bruins in a red hue under the gaze of the blindingly beautiful sunshine. I seized the moment and captured a few amazing shots with my DJI Mavic Mini drone.
- Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 250 grams Mavic Mini is almost as light as the average smartphone In the United States and Canada you can fly this camera drone without the need to register your drone with the government
- The compact yet powerful Mavic Mini camera drone is the perfect creative companion capturing your moments in a way that effortlessly elevates the ordinary
- Mavic Mini's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer FlyCams on the market Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery
- Mavic Mini supports 12MP aerial photos and 2 7K HD videos A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear Ultra-smooth footage
- What you get DJI Mavic Mini Remote Controller 3x Intelligent Flight Battery 3x Pairs of Spare Propellers 2x Micro USB Cable Gimbal Protector RC Cable (Micro USB connector) RC Cable (USB-C connector) RC Cable (Lightning connector) Pair of Spare Control Sticks 18x Spare Screw Screwdriver 360° Propeller Guard Two-Way Charging Hub DJI 18W USB Charger Carrying Bag.DJI Fly App requires iOS v10 0 Android v6 0 or above Compatible devices include iPhone 11 Pro Max 11 Pro 11 XS Max XS XR X 8 Plus 8 7 Plus 7 6s Plus 6s 6 Plus 6 Samsung Galaxy S10+ S10 S9+ S9 S8+ S8 S7 edge S7 S6 Note9 Note8 Huawei P30 Pro P30 P20 P10 Mate 20 Pro Mate 10 nova 5 nova 4 nova 3e nova 2 Honor 8X 10 9 20 Pro Magic 2 Mi 8 MIX 2S MIX 2 Redmi Note 5 Oppo Find X R15 Vivo NEX X27 X21 X20A OnePlus 7 6T 5 Pixel 3 XL 2 XL 2 LG V20 LG G6
Setting Up The Range
Once we got there, we had to set up the targets at the appropriate range so that we could practice our hands. We got to set it all up at a pretty scenic location, just ahead of a hill with miles of desert stretching out behind us. We were going to do some precise long range target shooting so we set up steel targets at around 120 yards distance. Then, with the help of some exports, we loaded up the artillery with ammo and took turns pretending (and partially succeeding) to be master marksmen!
- ▶ Includes 12" x 20" AR500 hostage target, 4" AR500 top swivel paddle, 6" AR500 center swivel paddle and 2x4 + T-post mounting bracket
- ▶ Targets are all laser-cut from 3/8" AR500 steel plate in our own facility. Great for most pistol and rifle calibers, including 9mm, 45ACP, .223, 30-06 & 308 as well as most other high powered rifle calibers. Handguns should be used no closer than 10 yards and rifles 100 yards.
- ▶ Universal Target Mounting Bracket for use with either 2x4 board, T-post or Highwild adjustable steel post(All needs to be used with bracket fasteners). Holds target at an approx 20 degree angle.
- ▶ Fun Shooting - The Swivel Paddles use gravity to swing from side to side while shooting, different directions of movement will show the shooter different colors(Orange/Yellow).
- ▶ The dulcet "Ding" will be heard in no second when hit and you will see your shots. Get it and have fun in your range shooting!
We used a number of different kinds of firearms for this early morning target shooting activity, one of the first ones being the AR-15 Noveske Gen 3. As expensive as this rifle is, it was just as fun to operate what with its modern design and smooth machinery. We also tried the Colt AR-15 which is a semi-automatic rifle. Since it was super light, we could carry it in our arms instead of having to use a table to aim at the targets.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Moving on to the handguns, the Colt 45 1911 is a small, silver pistol that you have to reload with ammo every so often but it was so much fun to shoot with. Especially because you felt like a real life hero trying to take out the bad guys with a gun in one hand under the desert sun.
We occasionally took the time out to help lubricate the guns to ensure they kept shooting smoothly and with precision.
Our last gun of the day was the Sig Sauer P365 with red light, a handgun that really packs a punch. It is small, concealable, and really modern, but that does not come at the expense of the style or functionality of the firearm as it was a pleasure to practice shooting with.
- 2 MOA Red-Dot provides 10 illumination settings (8 daylight plus 2 NV) for visibility in all light conditions
- MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not.
- Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced 50,000+ hour battery life
- Integrated M1913 Picatinny interface provides industry-standard mounting options for a wide range of applications
- Objective Clear Aperture: 20 mm Eye Relief: Unlimite. Illumination Settings: 8 Daytime / 2 . NV Elevation Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MO. Windage Adjustment Range: +/- 40. MOA Reticle: 2 MOA Red Dt. Adjustment increments: 0.5 MOA Battery: (1) CR203. Includes a co-witness 1.41"" riser mount
My Filming Companions For The Day
As you all know by now, I have become an avid fan of everything related to photography in the past few months and am thoroughly enjoying indulging in this activity with some really cool filming gear. This time around, I had my handheld DJI Osmo Pocket as well as the DJI Mavic Mini drone with me to record some truly awe inspiring imagery at an equally eye catching location.
I used the DJI Osmo Pocket for most of the ground shots. The three axis stabilization worked wonderfully well to capture the entire motion as my friends and I shot the larger and smaller guns at the targets in crisp quality. Then I used the Mavic Mini to get some wide spanning drone shots that seem to have been plucked straight out of an incredibly cool action movie. I used the circle filming feature of the drone to get some shots of us shooting at the targets from higher up, a 360 degree look at the terrain to get a real idea of the long range and incorporate some of the surrounding hills and shrubbery.
All I had to do was add some snazzy background music to the drone shots of us target shooting to make it all look even cooler than it already did! You can check all the action out in my video.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Zeroing a Norinco Mak-90 Aim Point Pro | AR15 vs AK47 | AR15 & AK47 Both with Aim Point Red Dot @ 120 Yards
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
- Absolute co-witness with iron sights (with the supplied spacer installed)
- Features 2 MOA red dot for accurate target engagement
- Includes a large PRO sticker and front and rear plastic flip cap lens covers
- Features 10 brightness settings including one extra bright for use in bright sunlight
- Up to 30,000 hours (over 3 years) of constant operation from 1 DL1/3N battery
The Internet Is Lying About the AK-47
The Heatwave Arizona Shooting group went out on a shooting day. My friend Willie helped me out to zero my Norinco Mak-90 Made in China AK-47. The MAK-90 has a Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Rail Gen 3 and an AimPoint Pro Red Dot. After Zeroing the AK-47, we tested both Colt AR-15 and the MAK-90 AK47 side by side. Both Colt AR15 and Mak90 AK47 had the exact same AimPoint Pro Red Dot. Both were hitting the target metal plates like crazy at 120 yards.
Click here to watch the video.
Modernizing + Parts Upgrade for the Norinco MAK 90 AK-47
Read our step by step blog article about modernizing and parts upgrade of the Norinco MAK 90. The blog provide you all of the information you will need to fully upgrade your MAK 90.
Blog Your Niche is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.